Policy Manager Minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 8 years of experience working on public affairs also/or tech policy issues within government think tanks, public interest groups or relevant industry associations.
Policy Manager Preferred qualifications:
- Eligibility to register as a lobbyist in Canada.
- Experience shaping policy on issues relevant to an online platform’s business operations.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, also execute cross-functional projects.
- Ability to work effectively on a team, and exercise excellent judgment in a rapidly changing and ambiguous environment.
- Excellent political, analytical, communication skills, as well as high attention to detail.
About the job
As a member of the Company’s Government Affairs and Public Policy team, you’ll be part of a diverse global government affairs team, working across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects, and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Company to bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You’re passionate about the opportunity to shape the future of how we use and build technology for everyone.
As the Policy Manager for Canada at YouTube, you will develop an in-depth understanding of YouTube’s products as well as business, and manage external communication on public policy priorities across the country. You will be knowledgeable about the policy environment affecting YouTube’s business operations in the country as well as share that knowledge with stakeholders within YouTube.
We take its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs, not only the Public Policy (GAPP) team leads the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators, but also third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Company leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. While we focus on challenges affecting the internet, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, as well as technology intersect.
- Support the Americas Public Policy Director for YouTube by developing public policy campaigns and leading engagement with policymakers.
- Monitor issues affecting YouTube’s business operations and interests in the political context.
- Partner with the GAPP team in Canada, YouTube PR, and Marketing teams to implement YouTube campaigns as well as activities to inform policymakers.