What is Affiliate Marketing & How Does It Work
As a leader, It is important to not just see your own success, but focus on the success of others.Sundar Pichai, Google CEO
Affiliate Marketing is one of the oldest forms of digital marketing wherein you refer someone to any online product and when that person buys the product base on your recommendation, you receive a commission.
Every big companies like Amazon, Apple, Google have affiliate program, which is free to join by any individual across the globe. If you never knew about this, then Pay close attention to rest of this guide amigo, you are about to discover one of the most interesting aspect of making money from home.
This commission varies from $1 to $10,000 depending on what product you are promoting.
Here is how affiliate marketing works in 4 simple steps:
- You join an affiliate program Here’s How to Start Affiliate Marketing on Your Blog in 8 Steps
- Pick a product to promote (You will get a unique affiliate link)
- Share the link via Social media, Blog, YouTube videos, Facebook ads or any other form
- When someone makes a purchase, you earn a handsome affiliate commission.
Affiliate Marketing: FAQ
Is it important to have a blog for affiliate promotion?
Not necessarily, but a blog is really the best promotional tool. With that said, you can always use methods such as PPC or advertising to promote a product.
Destiny always ask to get more. But to get more you have to take the decisions full of risk. Some people don’t take this risk and live their life. But those who want to grow and have will to be the next big thing take this decision as opportunities.
What titles of studio do I need to become an affiliate marketer?
There is literally no qualification require to become an affiliate marketer, though having good copy writing skills as well as marketing skills will be an added advantage.
Is affiliate marketing harmful or illegal?
How do I find an affiliate link for any product?
Not all companies offer an affiliate program, of course, but for those that do offer affiliate programs, you can check their website for related information. When searching, be sure to check the company’s FAQ page if they have one.
How do I find new products to promote?
Affiliate marketplaces such as those mention above are the best places to start your affiliate marketing research.
Affiliate marketing and AdSense: Can we use both?
Is it as easy as it sounds?
Yes, and no!
Yes, because of 2 reasons:
- Joining an affiliate program
- Getting paid
Is super facile. Thanks to advancement in digital marketing, as well as services like PayPal and Payoneer, this all is automated.
The tough part is, how badly you want this.
To become successful in affiliate marketing, you aver need to train regularly (Daily). Think of this as learning to play cricket, as well as the only way you get better by showing up every day on the ground.
And then there is another part, as we gain more responsibilities in life like (job, kids, parents, spouse, weekend parties), we find it hard to dedicate time for acquiring learning new skills.
This is where the question comes:
How badly you want this?
If your want or need falls in “unsure” segment, take a 360 view of life, and ask what is that you have to lose and what are the possible gains.
If dedicating 1-2 hours a day for few months could give you financial freedom for life, it doesn’t sound like a bad deal.
Moreover, it is proven method that works!
How to start Affiliate marketing for beginners:
You can start with Affiliate marketing in many ways.
Here are a few that you can pick from:
- Start a blog in a targeted niche and use it to promote a product. This is by far the cheapest and easiest way to start an affiliate marketing business. For example: Start a blog about Women shoes, Work from home products, and so on.
- Buy traffic from PPC sites like Google, Facebook, Quora and drive traffic to affiliate products or services. This is called PPC marketing, and those who have taken a basic course of digital marketing, could understand it better. For rest, give it a little time and you will understand this.
- Create a YouTube channel and promote products.
- Create an email list by creating a mini-website.
Here are steps to get started with affiliate marketing via your blog:
This is just a rough highlight, as we move ahead in this free course, you will understand everything in greater depth and length to create your own affiliate marketing system.
- Start a blog
- Select a profitable industry and then pick a niche for your blog
- Choose the affiliate products that you can promote
- Create content around those products
- Drive traffic to your website/affiliate post
- Use email-marketing services to capture email of visitors
- Create email-sequence to automate the funnel (We will discuss this in details soon)
- Focus on driving more traffic and repeating the process.
The reason blogging is one of the most effective ways to get started with affiliate marketing is because it requires minimum investment and you can learn everything around it in no time. From here on, what really matters it how much dedication, time and smart work you put in to grow your affiliate business.
Affiliate marketing terminologies:
Here are some of the common terms associated with affiliate marketing:
- Affiliates: Publishers like you and me who are using affiliate program links to promote and make sales.
- Affiliate marketplace: There are many marketplaces like Shareasale, CJ, and Clickbank. These work as central databases for affiliate programs in different niches.
- Affiliate software: Software used by companies to create an affiliate program for their product.
- Example: FirstPromoter.
- Affiliate link: Special tracking link offered by your affiliate program to track the progress of your affiliate promotion.
- Affiliate ID: Similar to the affiliate link, but many affiliate programs offer a unique ID which you can add to any page of the product site.
- Payment mode: Different affiliate programs offer different methods of payment.
- Example: Cheque, wire transfer, PayPal, and others.
- Affiliate Manager/OPM: Many companies have dedicated affiliate managers to help publishers earn more by giving them optimization tips.
- Commission percentage/amount: The amount or percentage you will be receiving in affiliate income from every sale.
- Landing pages: A unique product sales or demo page used for the purpose of increasing sales. Most of the programs that you will be promoting have many landing pages, and you can run A/B testing to see which pages convert best for you.
- Custom affiliate income/account: Unlike a generic affiliate account, many companies offer custom affiliate income to people making the most affiliate sales for them.
- Link clocking: Most of the affiliate tracking links are ugly. Using a link clocking technique like URL shorten, Thirsty Affiliates, etc., you can turn ugly links into links that can be read and understood by your readers.
- Custom coupons: Many programs allow affiliates to create custom coupons which are also used to track sales. Custom discount coupons help you to increase affiliate sales as well.
Every affiliate program has a set TOS.
For companies offering an affiliate program, this is one of the best ways to receive free promotion, thus saving substantially on advertising.
For example, whenever you see coupons or discount links, most of the time these are affiliate links, and when you make a purchase, webmasters make money.
Many of the affiliate product offer 30-150 days cookie period, which means that if a visitor clicks your affiliate link to land on an affiliate product, now even if they don’t buy anything immediately, but re-visit the site in next 30-150 days, you will earn an affiliate commission.
How to find new Affiliate Program to join?
Finding a new affiliate program is challenging, as well as if you do it right, you will increase your chances of earning huge.