- Currently enrolled in a degree in Graphic Design, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Computer Science, or a related field.
- A design portfolio that demonstrates design principles for web and/or mobile platforms.
- Returning to your degree after completion of the internship.
- Relevant internship work, work experience, or personal project experience outside the classroom in interaction, graphic or motion design.
- Demonstrated proficiency with design tools (e.g. Adobe Photoshop, Sketch, Illustrator, After Effects, Quartz Composer, Framer Studio, etc), and familiarity with front-end engineering and/or working with engineers.
- Understanding of user-centered design principles, with the ability to apply brand visual assets in a user interface context.
About the job
We follow a simple but vital premise in the User Experience group: “Focus on the user and all else will follow.” We’re ardently interested in our users and strive to learn everything we can about their behaviors, attitudes and emotions to help define the products and experiences we create. The User Experience team is a critical driving force behind gathering these insights and then using them to inspire and inform design. We are a multi-disciplinary team of Interaction Designers, Visual Designers, User Researchers, Copywriters and Web Developers who collaborate closely with each other, and with Engineering and Product Management, to create innovative, usable, great-looking products that people love to use.
Design and user experience (UX) are at the forefront of everything we do. The job of a Designer is to envision how people experience our products and bring that vision to life in a way that feels inspired, refined and even magical. In this role, you’ll address complex tasks and transform them into intuitive, accessible and easy-to-use solutions for billions of people around the world – from the first-time user to the sophisticated expert. Achieving this goal requires collaboration with teams of other Designers, Researchers, Engineers and Product Managers throughout the design process – from creating user flows and wireframes, to building user interface mockups and prototypes. At each stage, you will anticipate what our users need, advocate for them, and ensure that the final product surprises and delights them.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology’s greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From Google Ads to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Produce designs that accurately reflect a visual design language or brand guidelines. Use a broad range of styles that can be consistently executed with an aesthetic voice that is also consistent, though not restricting.
- Produce and test interaction flows and mock-ups that accurately communicate product functionality to Product, Engineering and Visual Design team members. Pair research with an intellectual curiosity that encourages testing and iteration.